Monday, June 11, 2012

Jump the Stork.

So I have been away for a while..... I know....I'm sorry. The strange part is that it's because I have an easy baby (please don't stop reading or hate me). She is very fun and so happy that at the very least, I know I am in big trouble during the high school/college years (what dad isn't?). But I haven't had anything recently that's been bloggable (screw that spell check red line! That's a real word!)

I know this is a baby blog but this post is going to be more about the adults (so all of you who let your 3 year old read my blog...A. Thanks B. Let them sit this one out...and C. HOLY SHIT YOUR 3 YEAR OLD CAN READ THIS!)

We were a Mr. and Mrs. before we were a Dad and Mom and it's tough sometimes to be both so here are a few things we battle with and how we try to remember what got us there in the first place...

To start, we all know how the baby came to be in the first place right? Correct, the Stork (That's what one of my friends calls his but whatever you use is fine.... I'll be here all week.)  Well, over the last 4 months it can seem like sometimes me and the Mrs. are less of a married couple and more of 2 people desperately trying to keep ourselves and a small human being alive. That *could* be a slight exaggeration, but it really can feel that way sometimes. 

It starts where we sleep. Everyone knows someone who has given a tour of their house and used the re-diculous expression "This is our bedroom, ya know, where the magic happens." Well that a-hole obviously does not have an infant sleeping in the same room next to the bed or else it would be "This is our bedroom, you know, where we desperately try to get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep before the kid wakes up and we have to feed it and change it in the dark without getting baby poop on the sheets and each other." (See Poop Dictionary). Definitely not the time for magic. But this will definitely end. I think it will end. It's gonna end right? Bueller?.... Moving along. So, to keep the magic, we have to GO OUT WITHOUT THE BABY! I'll let some of you catch your breath before I continue.......... Yes, I know, it's tough but it has to be done to keep some sort of sanity between us. We have to go out and get crazy sometimes. Not college, 27 captain and cokes, a carbomb, 4 shots of Jager and wake up in a different state two days later crazy. Adult crazy, like 2 cosmos and a soda water with lemon. So just go out on a date with your significant other. Whatever you do on dates, dinner and movie, couples massage, turkish baths, all night underground raves in an abandoned barn... Whatever. Blowing off baby steam is good for you. 

The other thing that got you there is your friends. Hanging out with them together as a couple or separately, either way, they were around far before the little one came around. I'm sure, as was the case with us, everyone wanted to stop by when you had just had the baby in the first few weeks. Now all of a sudden the newness has worn off and everyone is off doing their own things (as they should be) and you are "stuck in" on nights you would normally be going out with them. That's why the Mrs. and I definitely make a conscious effort to make time for friends because, lets be serious, we can't be the only 2 people we talk to and continue to be legally sane. Now, we have some ridiculously generous parents who graciously watch the CEO and allow us to get out but if we didn't I think we would have found something by now. A friend baby sitter, local high school baby sitter, fellow parents who owe us a favor, highly trained chimpanzee (I mean, if they can go into space then...), something would work. 

I'm sure that was a lot of rambling but basically we have just learned to get "some" time to ourselves and our friends away from our CEO. It's good for us and it's good for her because we come back missing her like crazy. It's what got us to where we are today so we need it now and then. Holy crap, did I just write something heartfelt... I have been away too long, I'll make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Lastly, we have some sad news to report. On of the Caddies favorite toys has passed on.  The Cow, a favorite carseat toy throughout her life was tragically ripped off his rope by the CEOs ever developing motor skills. He will always be remembered for his hours of entertainment provided during car trips, his main talent being pulled on and rattling back into place. He will be missed. {Silently fades to commercial}



No comments:

Post a Comment